Substance provides building blocks for realizing custom text editors and web-based publishing systems.
- Custom document models: Define a custom document schema, with your own set of content types.
- HTML/XML import and export: Substance interacts well with HTML/XML content. You can import a whole XML document or insert HTML fragments from the clipboard.
- Custom HTML rendering: Have full control over the markup of editable content, by implementing components.
- Server and client-side execution: Substance runs in the browser and in server-side environments, such as Node.js.
- Collaborative editing: Substance documents are manipulated through operations that can be undone, redone and transformed to support concurrent collaborative editing.
Here is a collection of timely pieces, related to Substance and digital publishing in general.
Substance is being developed as an open source project since 2010. In 2014 Substance Software GmbH was founded to provide consulting and support.
Work with us
As experts in web-based publishing we are offering custom integrations of the Substance platform. These can either be scoped prototyping projects or long-term contracts including a fixed monthly time-budget for custom development. You are invited to join the Substance Consortium, which we created to coordinate community efforts. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Partners and supporters